Additive Manufacturing Technician
Woking, England, United KingdomF1 - Operations
At McLaren Racing, we’re not just here to try to take the chequered flag. We’re here to excite our fans, inspire our people and deliver for our partners. And we’re also committed to evolving our sport, our industry, and our technology, too.
Purpose of the Role:
To prepare and service all types of AM printing machines readying them for their next builds, including carrying out calibrations and both routine and specialised maintenance.
To take unfinished 3D printed components and process them to a high aero standard, ready for pre-fitting or delivery to the next operation.
Reporting to the Additive Manufacturing Shift Lead(s), it is your responsibility to deliver high-quality components on time and in full whilst working to best practice and embracing continuous improvement to meet the overarching strategic vision for the department. The role demands a skilled, diligent, and agile person that works well as part of the team and is target driven. This role is on a Monday to Friday late shift and can involve unsocial hours and travel as required.
- Unloading completed build platforms from 3D printers and preparing of machines for next builds to start.
- Solving of machine issues during build and machine breakdowns, recovering part failures and minimising parts being scrapped.
- Loading and unloading of automated parts washers and ultrasonic cleaners.
- Processing 3D printed components using progressively finer grade wet and dry paper to an agreed aero standard.
- Processing of parts through automated part finishing equipment such as de-powdering stations and smoothing equipment.
- Use of rotary finishing tools.
- Inspecting of parts, visual go/no go type checking of all components before shipping to next operation.
- Ensuring high quality of model and car parts, working to a right first time philosophy, with on time delivery in full.
- Reviewing assigned workload and where potential delays are foreseen, ensuring timely communication to managers and supportive of an alternative plan that will have minimal effect on the program.
Knowledge, Skills, and Experience:
- Knowledge of 3D printing would be an advantage.
- Must be able to handle delicate parts with care while hand finishing with wet and dry paper and rotary tools.
- Developing working relationships that promote faster delivery of parts and increase morale between shifts.
- PC literate to enable use of department systems.
- Methodical approach and target driven.
- Able to promote ‘best practice’ working standards.
- Where the need for change is appropriate, engaging others to influence the result.
- A ‘Can do’ attitude with a drive for technical excellence.
- Flexible in working hours.
What can McLaren offer?
We constantly strive to be better tomorrow than we are today. Our ambition is to be the most pioneering and exhilarating racing team in the world, and our collective task is to set the standards for high performance in sport. We show up every day with energy and enthusiasm, ready to play our part.
We encourage and support diversity, equity and inclusion. We will actively promote a culture that values difference and eliminates discrimination in our workplace.
McLaren Racing is based at the iconic McLaren Technology Centre (MTC) near Woking. Our state of the art, sustainable campus offers many facilities including a gym, swimming pool, restaurant and indoor and outdoor break-out areas, as well as direct access to park and common land. The MTC is connected to Woking mainline station via regular shuttle buses, from which London Waterloo is a 30 minute train ride.
We offer a comprehensive package of benefits including private healthcare, car schemes, life insurance and generous pension contributions.