United Kingdom, Surrey, WokingF1 - Technical
Our aim is to develop the best Aerodynamics department in F1. We are looking for talented engineers to join us in achieving that aim and support the development of current and future championship challengers.
The Aerodynamicist’s primary focus is on delivering aerodynamic performance to the race car through analysis of CFD, wind tunnel and track data, and by innovating and collaborating throughout the design and development process. The successful candidates will be able to join us for an exciting new chapter as we return our wind tunnel activities to the McLaren Technology Centre in Woking.
We have opportunities available that would suit a current Aerodynamicists looking for career progression.
- Sits within an Aerodynamics development group, reporting to a Principal Aerodynamicist and guided by an Aerodynamics Project Leader.
- Some flexibility in working hours is required (some evenings and weekends).
- Some travel to the Wind Tunnel as per the agreed rotation
- Develop aerodynamic ideas and solutions for the racing car that deliver on-track performance.
- Effective management and delivery of your own projects through the design, CFD and wind tunnel test process, according to deadlines and the requirements of the programme.
- This will include creating your own CAD geometries, submitting CFD cases, and defining and implementing wind tunnel tests.
- Summarise results and directions, collaborating with all stakeholders. Collect input, propose directions and lead the implementation of agreed actions.
- Continue to build an understanding of aerodynamic structures and behaviours around the car. Contribute to collaborative discussions and efforts to improve whole-car performance, offering ideas and taking on board feedback from others.
- More experienced aerodynamicists will also help us develop the team, making a significant contribution to raising the level of aerodynamic understanding and supporting the development of those in the earlier stages of their career.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- A Degree in engineering that incorporates either aerodynamics or fluid mechanics.
- Experience of CAD design, wind tunnel testing and use of CFD would be beneficial.
- Good data analysis skills
- Experience of planning and organising projects to pre-agreed targets, working collaboratively with other team members.
- Experience in F1 Aerodynamics with particularly sound knowledge of the F1 wind tunnel testing environment and use of CFD, and excellent knowledge of flow physics around an F1 car.
- A team player but with the initiative to make own decisions and work with minimal supervision.
- Able to work under pressure.
- Good skills in effective communication.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and an analytical approach, with attention to detail.
- Aptitude to learn from, and share knowledge with, with others.
- Flexible approach to working hours and willing to travel abroad.
What can McLaren offer?
We strive to provide a fun, innovative, collaborative and open culture where everyone’s input is welcome, and everyone feels part of our achievements. We work hard to create a culture of continuous improvement and support this with a proactive approach to management and personal development.
McLaren Racing is based at the iconic McLaren Technology Centre on the edge of Woking. Our large campus includes a gym, swimming pool, restaurant and indoor and outdoor break-out areas, as well as direct access to park land. MTC is connected to Woking mainline station via regular shuttle buses, from which London Waterloo is a 32min train ride.
We encourage hybrid working patterns to give you options to balance your home life and hobbies with your work, and offer a comprehensive package of benefits including private healthcare, car schemes, life insurance and generous pension contributions.