United Kingdom, England, WokingF1 - Technical
Our aim is to develop the best Aerodynamics department in F1. We are looking for talented engineers to join us in achieving that aim and support the development of current and future championship challengers.
This role’s primary focus is on creating CAD geometries for analysis in CFD and the wind tunnel, as part of our fast-moving aerodynamic development process.
Aerodynamic Designers can specialise in surfacing or model design – or be flexible between both disciplines. We have opportunities available that would suit a current F1 Aero Designer looking for career progression.
- Sits within an Aerodynamics development group, reporting to a Lead Designer.
- Predominantly normal working hours, but will sometimes require evenings and weekends.
- Work closely with the aerodynamicists to prepare high quality CAD models for CFD, wind tunnel and race car.
- Liaise with the Production and Modelshop teams to support manufacture and assembly of your model components, and help to ensure that the wind tunnel model is accurate and high quality.
- Liaise with the Vehicle Design team to ensure that race car packaging and layout considerations are respected.
- Take ownership of CAD model quality and methodology, working with the team to continually improve our processes in design, in manufacture, in the Modelshop and in the wind tunnel.
- Contribute to collaborative discussions and efforts to improve the entire design process.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- A Degree in engineering or STEM-based subject.
- Proficient with MS Office.
- CAD surfacing or solid modelling experience.
- Experience of planning and organising projects to pre-agreed targets, working collaboratively with other team members.
- Experience in design for F1 or other motorsport / automotive / aeronautical environment.
- A team player but with the initiative to make own decisions and work with minimal supervision.
- Able to work under pressure.
- Good skills in effective communication.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and an analytical approach, with attention to detail.
- Aptitude to learn from, and share knowledge with, with others.
- Flexible approach to working hours.
What can McLaren offer?
We strive to provide a fun, innovative, collaborative and open culture where everyone’s input is welcome, and everyone feels part of our achievements. We work hard to create a culture of continuous improvement, and support this with a pro-active approach to management and personal development.
McLaren Racing is based at the iconic McLaren Technology Centre on the edge of Woking. Our large campus includes a gym, swimming pool, restaurant and indoor and outdoor break-out areas, as well as direct access to park land. MTC is connected to Woking mainline station via regular shuttle buses, from which London Waterloo is a 32min train ride.
We encourage hybrid working patterns to give you options to balance your home life and hobbies with your work, and offer a comprehensive package of benefits including private healthcare, car schemes, life insurance and generous pension contributions.