Aerodynamics Performance Engineer
Purpose of the Role:
- To understand the Aerodynamic characteristics of the car and to understand how to optimize the set-up around it
- To identify car Aerodynamic weaknesses
- To find opportunities to improve and optimize the Aerodynamic performance
- To feed observations to the aerodynamic department that helps the Aerodynamic development of the car
- To lead testing exercises for collection of Aerodynamic data
The Aero performance group sits within the Vehicle Performance department. As part of this group the Aerodynamics Performance Engineer will be responsible to derive a sound Aerodynamic understanding of the car, to help the group and other areas of VP to optimize the package at each race / test event and to help the Aerodynamic department identifying car development direction that bring performance on track.
The role will involve strong interaction with the Aerodynamic department, with other groups within Vehicle Performance and with Race Engineering.
- Analyse aerodynamic data to characterise the aerodynamic performance of the car and identify weaknesses and opportunities to improve car performance through setup and development.
- Understand variation across physical components through testing and 3D scanning
- Work with Aero Performance software and tool developers to improve the analysis process.
- Make significant contribution to raising the level of aerodynamic understanding within the team.
- Assist in the management of analysis tasks, priorities and reporting for an event.
- Plan, conduct, and analyze aerodynamic testing of the IndyCar vehicle
- Interface with mechanics to ensure proper aero configuration and state of repair of associated components
- Flexibility in working hours is required including evenings and weekends.
- Travel to tests and race events will be required
- Strong interaction with the others group within Vehicle Performance, Aerodynamics and Race Engineering
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Have good data driven analysis skills and the ability to extract meaningful data from a dataset and present in a clear concise manner.
- Knowledge of full-scale simulation techniques and race car setup.
- Ability to interface with race team groups to organize and execute a test plan
- Experience in motorsport Aerodynamics with particularly sound knowledge of the wind tunnel testing environment and use of CFD.
- Experience with CAD and 3D scanning
- Understanding of trades in race car setup with regards to aerodynamics, mechanical setup and tyres.
- A Bachelor, Master or PhD in relevant subject area.
- A team player but also has the initiative to make their own decisions.
- Excellent communication skills to target a variety of audiences and the ability to influence as appropriate.
- Possess the drive to strive and achieve results using all the information available.
- The ability to influence and embed knowledge to other members of the team.
- The ability to follow aerodynamic development directions when defined by the Aerodynamic Department as a priority.
- Open mindedness to ensure high flexibility and the capacity to manage rapid and profound changes of scopes, development directions and processes.
- Aptitude to learn from others and share knowledge with others.