Aerodynamics Performance Engineer
United Kingdom, , WokingF1 - Technical
Purpose of the Role:
To improve the performance of the race car through analysis and presentation of aerodynamic data that influences the setup and aerodynamic development direction.
- Sits in the Aerodynamic Performance Team, part of the wider Aerodynamics Department.
- Reports to the Senior Manager, Aerodynamic Performance.
- Flexibility in working hours is required including evenings, nights and weekends.
- Travel to tests and race events may be required, though this role is not a full-time travelling role.
- Rest of AP Team
- Aerodynamicists (development and experiment /correlation)
- Vehicle Performance & simulator
- Race Engineering
- Monitor aerodynamic data on the race car and report observations.
- Analyse aerodynamic data to characterise the aerodynamic performance of the car, identifying weaknesses and opportunities to improve car performance through setup, and by influencing aerodynamic development directions.
- Stay abreast of current car development and provide observations from track events.
- Summarise observations from track, CFD and WT to correlation and assist in devising and implementing further experiments or alternative instrumentation as required.
- Drive improvements in data analysis, tools and processes. Work towards standard analysis methodology.
- Maintain a current understanding of aerodynamic development direction.
- Promote collaborative work when discussing results or defining development direction.
- Support the AP Senior Manager in maintaining a high level of motivation and achievement within the team
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Demonstrate good knowledge of fundamental aerodynamics, and the various factors that drive and influence the performance of an F1 car.
- Good data-driven analysis skills – some coding skills would be beneficial.
- Experience of planning and organising projects to pre-agreed targets.
- A degree in a relevant subject area.
- A team player but with the initiative to make own decisions and work with minimal supervision.
- Self-starter, able to identify requirements independently, then make proposals for solutions.
- Able to work under pressure, to tight deadlines, often with ever-changing priorities.
- The ability to plan and organise a project to deliver and execute to target specifications, often to a tight deadline.
- Good communication skills.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and analytical approach, with attention to detail.
- Aptitude to learn from others and share knowledge with others.
- Flexible approach to working hours and willing to travel abroad.
What can McLaren offer?
We strive to provide a fun, innovative, collaborative and open culture where everyone’s input is welcome, and everyone feels part of our achievements. We work hard to create a culture of continuous improvement and support this with a proactive approach to management and personal development.
McLaren Racing is based at the iconic McLaren Technology Centre on the edge of Woking. Our large campus includes a gym, swimming pool, restaurant and indoor and outdoor break-out areas, as well as direct access to park land. MTC is connected to Woking mainline station via regular shuttle buses, from which London Waterloo is a 32min train ride.
We encourage hybrid working patterns to give you options to balance your home life and hobbies with your work, and offer a comprehensive package of benefits including private healthcare, car schemes, life insurance and generous pension contributions.