CFD R&D Engineer
United Kingdom, England, WokingF1 - Technical
Our aim is to develop the best Aerodynamics department in F1. We are looking for a talented engineer to join us in achieving that aim and support the development of current and future championship challengers.
This role’s primary focus is on delivering and maintaining a robust, consistent and efficient CFD workflow and methodology for the aerodynamic development of F1 race cars.
- Deliver improvements to CFD methodology according to targets set. Perform related CFD R&D activities, including supporting the Aerodynamic Development or HPC teams.
- Champion various tools used in CFD technology team in their workflow. Develop in-depth understanding of these tools and develop techniques to address their limitations or improve them.
- Develop a high level of understanding of the other factors influencing CFD methodology and performance: HPC hardware, software, novel numerical methods, correlation etc – and use this to liaise effectively with the HPC, Software and Correlation teams.
- Be able to contribute and help maintain a large codebase.
- Develop a high level of understanding of the aerodynamic performance development in general. Use this to keep a strong link with the Aerodynamic Development and deliver effective and targeted CFD methodology support.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Strong mathematical background, in particular linear algebra, partial differential equations and Finite volume/element/high order numerical methods either through a PhD or MSc followed up with industrial experience.
- In-depth knowledge of CFD modelling and expertise in at least two of the following areas: CFD solver development, CFD process automation, CFD applications.
- Experience in using simulations tools/packages in industrial applications is required.
- Knowledge and experience with OpenFOAM are preferred.
- Strong coding skills in object-oriented programming languages (C++, python or others) as well as version control system are highly desirable.
- Experience of planning and organising technical projects to pre-agreed targets, working collaboratively with other team members.
- A team player with a collaborative style, but also with the initiative to make your own decisions and work with minimal supervision.
- Able to work under pressure.
- Good skills in effective communication.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and an analytical approach, with attention to detail.
- Aptitude to learn from, and share knowledge with, others.
- Flexible approach to working hours.
What can McLaren offer?
We strive to provide a fun, innovative, collaborative and open culture where everyone’s input is welcome, and everyone feels part of our achievements. We work hard to create a culture of continuous improvement, and support this with a pro-active approach to management and personal development.
McLaren Racing is based at the iconic McLaren Technology Centre on the edge of Woking. Our large campus includes a gym, swimming pool, restaurant and indoor and outdoor break-out areas, as well as direct access to park land. MTC is connected to Woking mainline station via regular shuttle buses, from which London Waterloo is a 32min train ride.
We encourage hybrid working patterns to give you options to balance your home life and hobbies with your work, and offer a comprehensive package of benefits including private healthcare, car schemes, life insurance and generous pension contributions.