Chassis & Powertrain Multi-Body Simulation Engineer
United Kingdom, England, WokingF1 - Technical
Purpose of the Role:
Perform Multi-Body Simulation and Finite Element Analysis on Chassis, Suspension and Powertrain/ Transmission system in order to maximise the structural performance of the F1 car, investigate dynamic behaviours and predict loads. The role will use the latest structural simulation tools, engineering skill and creativity and ensure that stringent safety & durability requirements are satisfied.
The role is a full time position and is primarily based at the McLaren Technology Centre in Woking. Forming part of the Structural Design Team, you’ll also be working closely with Design, Materials, Vehicle performance and Labs.
- Work autonomously to develop and validate Multi-Body Simulation (MBS) and Finite Element Analysis (FEA) static and dynamic models of chassis, suspension and powertrain systems
- Ensure solutions meet functional safety and reliability requirements.
- Provide technical input into proposals and contribute to decisions and ensure understanding.
- Develop solutions to maximise car performance.
- Specify instrumentation and logging requirements and analyse and interpret, understand data.
- Solve complex problems, take a new perspective using existing solutions and develop new solutions.
- Ensure that agreed internal methodologies and procedures are followed and that a high quality of work is maintained
- Contribute to continuously improve engineering processes for the benefit of the business.
- Be aware of any interdependencies that may impact delivery.
- Timely reporting of analysis results in a clear, concise and structured manner
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- In-depth knowledge and experience of MBS and confident with FEA
- Some knowledge of (one or more of) Chassis, Suspension or Powertrain/ Transmission multibody simulation
- Good knowledge of Vibration/ Structural Dynamics methodologies, including classical calculations, Signal processing and Solid Mechanics
- Familiar with mainstream MBS & FEA packages and solvers (preferably SIMPACK, Hyperworks, Abaqus)
- Strong technical ability
- Positive, Enthusiastic and self-motivated, with high levels of initiative and attention to detail
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills
- Inquisitive and forward-thinking
- Adaptable and capable of working in a dynamic environment
- Able to work autonomously under pressure to meet tight deadlines
- Be able to guide others within the team and lead by example
What can McLaren offer?
We strive to provide a fun, innovative, collaborative and open culture where everyone’s input is welcome, and everyone feels part of our achievements. We work hard to create a culture of continuous improvement and support this with a proactive approach to management and personal development.
McLaren Racing is based at the iconic McLaren Technology Centre on the edge of Woking. Our large campus includes a gym, swimming pool, restaurant and indoor and outdoor break-out areas, as well as direct access to park land. MTC is connected to Woking mainline station via regular shuttle buses, from which London Waterloo is a 32min train ride.
We encourage hybrid working patterns to give you options to balance your home life and hobbies with your work, and offer a comprehensive package of benefits including private healthcare, car schemes, life insurance and generous pension contributions.