Communications Executive, Electric Racing
United Kingdom, England, WokingCommunications
Purpose of the Role:
In this role, you will be playing an active role in the day-to-day operations and press support of the McLaren Racing communications function across Formula E and Extreme E, supporting the delivery of first-class media relations and digital exposure for McLaren Racing to enhance brand awareness, drive value for corporate partners and grow the fanbase.
You'll be based at our McLaren Technology Centre in Woking, but there may be some travel to our Electric Racing base in Bicester and international travel to races and events on occasion. You'll be reporting into the Communications Manager, Electric Racing but will be expected to build strong relationships with other internal teams and external stakeholders. There is no such thing as a standard working week, and you'll need to be prepared to be flexible with working hours.
Including but not limited to:
- Administrative and Press office support and managing the day-to-day running of the Electric Racing communication’s operations and activities across Formula E and Extreme E where required
- To oversee, manage and develop the range of comms tools required for general running of the press office, including press release distribution systems, image libraries, online media centre, content plans and file sharing platforms
- Be a central point for all media/event requests for the team
- Management of media activity on-site during events, as well as in the factory
- Conduct regular coverage monitoring
- Responsibility for press release distribution and support on wider integrated communications campaigns
- Proactively raise media opportunities where appropriate with senior team
- Provide assistance with coverage monitoring, reporting and evaluation for the wider company and key internal stakeholders
- To effectively and professionally organise, oversee and execute photography, filming and media opportunities, and work with key stakeholders and management across the company to result in positive media coverage for McLaren Racing
- To engage with key media contacts and other media, developing relationships and supporting efficient and effective timely responses to media to maintain and build McLaren’s reputation as a first-class media relations operation
- To produce high-quality media-facing material in the form of press releases, briefing documents, website copy, marketing collateral and media correspondence where required, of a high quality and in a format that can be used across digital and traditional media platforms, and act as first point of contact for copy proofing and editing
- To be a proactive liaison within the wider Comms team as well as Digital, Partnerships, Brand Experience and Brand Creative departments in relation to partner activity, media events and comms and digital campaigns where appropriate
- To support the Racing communications team with race weekend organisation (including attendance at racing events), liaison with key stakeholders such as senior management and external media, and creating and managing media schedules and content opportunities
You are a natural connector, and you thrive in a pressured environment. In this role, you will manage and develop team relations with media and PR contacts inside and outside the paddock, as well as help look after the team drivers’ positioning and media activity. You will need to have excellent communication skills and work with attention to detail, to help deliver the overarching brand and messaging objectives of the team and its partners. This role will come with some administrative and organisational tasks, but you're the kind of person who knows how important it is to get that stuff right. You are proactive and positive in your approach and not afraid to get stuck in.
We're also looking for someone with:
- An ability to interact credibly with motorsport media on the core topic.
- Excellent organisational and time management skills, and strong attention to detail.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, ambiguous environment.
- Fluency in the English language
- Enjoy being part of a team and making a difference to overall performance.
- A natural collaborator; confident, not bullish.
- Possess excellent communication skills, high levels of drive and can make calm decisions in a high-pressure environment.
- Flexibility in hours and approach is required, along with the ability to work proactively under minimum supervision.
What can McLaren offer?
We strive to provide a fun, innovative, collaborative and open culture where everyone’s input is welcome, and everyone feels part of our achievements. We work hard to create a culture of continuous improvement and support this with a proactive approach to management and personal development.
McLaren Racing is based at the iconic McLaren Technology Centre on the edge of Woking. Our large campus includes a gym, swimming pool, restaurant and indoor and outdoor break-out areas, as well as direct access to park land. MTC is connected to Woking mainline station via regular shuttle buses, from which London Waterloo is a 32min train ride.
We encourage hybrid working patterns to give you options to balance your home life and hobbies with your work, and offer a comprehensive package of benefits including private healthcare, car schemes, life insurance and generous pension contributions.