Composite Design Engineer
United Kingdom, , WokingF1 - Technical
Purpose of the Role:
You will be responsible for conceptual and detail design of composite and metallic race car parts including any manufacturing tooling and rig parts required.
The components in this area of car include bodywork, wings, floor and crash structures.
Role reports to the Head of Bodywork Design.
The role is office based at MTC (or periods of WFH as agreed with your manager in line with company policy) with occasional travel as required
Contracted hours plus additional flexibility in working hours outside core hours which may include periods of time in evenings or at weekend to cover requirements of the business in order to complete tasks to critical deadlines and also to cover occasional design support for events.
- Conceptual and detail design of composite car parts and tooling
- Conceptual and detail design of metallic car parts, jig parts and test jigs
- Be able to take a project brief and work accurately and at pace in line with requirements of modern F1 racing design department, communicating with all key stake holders and taking responsibility for the design work required for successful outcome of the project
- Reliability and fault investigation and the designing of any required fixes
- When required, to assist in design work related to components in other areas of the car
- Carry out tasks following latest processes and procedures with guidance from department best working practice
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Degree in Mechanical/Aeronautical Engineering or similar
- Good knowledge of racing car components and systems
- Excellent knowledge of composite and metallic materials and manufacturing techniques
- High Level of Proficiency in CATIA 3DExp
- Basic PC skills – Word / Excel
- Experience in F1 or similar design environment
- Proven experience of design work in this area of the car
- High level of self-motivation and drive to meet critical deadlines required for project delivery
- High initiative level
- Good problem-solving skills
- Good communication skills to ensure effective communication of information both within the design team and cross functional teams
- Ability to work autonomously and under pressure
- Ability to work respectfully with co-workers and all stakeholders involved in delivering projects, working as one team
- Attention to detail to ensure all design work is thoroughly thought through and accurate before release
- Ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines
What can McLaren offer?
We strive to provide a fun, innovative, collaborative and open culture where everyone’s input is welcome, and everyone feels part of our achievements. We work hard to create a culture of continuous improvement and support this with a proactive approach to management and personal development.
McLaren Racing is based at the iconic McLaren Technology Centre on the edge of Woking. Our large campus includes a gym, swimming pool, restaurant and indoor and outdoor break-out areas, as well as direct access to park land. MTC is connected to Woking mainline station via regular shuttle buses, from which London Waterloo is a 32min train ride.
We encourage hybrid working patterns to give you options to balance your home life and hobbies with your work, and offer a comprehensive package of benefits including private healthcare, car schemes, life insurance and generous pension contributions.