Mechanical Design Engineer - Cooling Systems
Woking, England, United KingdomF1 - Technical
At McLaren Racing, we believe only by chasing performance in everything we do can we give ourselves the best chance of success. Performance on track and in the factory. Performance for our people, our business and our partners. It’s about more than winning. It’s about hitting the highest standards, and then raising the bar again.
Purpose of the Role:
You will be responsible for developing the specification of the car cooling system, from calculation to detail drawings of components, including any manufacturing tooling and rig parts required.
The components in the Engine Systems area of the car also include fuel, hydraulic and engine installation parts and as a member of the wider car design team you will be expected to contribute to the design of these activities and other parts of the when the need arises.
Role reports to the Head of System Design.
The role is office based at MTC (or periods of WFH as agreed with your manager in line with company policy) with occasional travel as required
Contracted hours plus additional flexibility in working hours outside core hours which may include periods of time in evenings or at weekend to cover requirements of the business in order to complete tasks to critical deadlines and also to cover occasional design support for events.
- Development and design of all parts of a cooling system .
- Liaising with other technical groups including aerodynamics and simulation to determine cooler sizing
- Specification and design of test equipment required for test and development work
- Organisation and overseeing of rig testing
- Data analysis and making recommendations for improvements
- Reporting of results in a clear, concise and structured manner
- Technical liaison with relevant suppliers
- Be able to take a project brief and work accurately and at pace in line with requirements of modern F1 racing design department, communicating with all key stake holders and taking responsibility for the design work required for successful outcome of the project
- Reliability and fault investigation and the designing of any required fixes
- When required, to assist in design work related to components in other areas of the car
- Carry out tasks following latest processes and procedures with guidance from department best working practice
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
Degree in Mechanical/Aeronautical Engineering or similar
- Good knowledge of racing car components and systems including thermodynamics and heat transfer
- Excellent knowledge of composite and metallic materials and manufacturing techniques
- High Level of Proficiency in CATIA 3DExp
- Basic PC skills – Word / Excel
- Ability to use software data logging tools
- Experience in F1 or similar design environment
- Proven experience of design work in this area of the car
- High level of self-motivation and drive to meet critical deadlines required for project delivery
- High initiative level
- Good problem-solving skills
- Good communication skills to ensure effective communication of information both within the design team and cross functional teams
- Ability to work autonomously and under pressure
- Ability to work respectfully with co-workers and all stakeholders involved in delivering projects, working as one team
- Attention to detail to ensure all design work is thoroughly thought through and accurate before release
- Ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines
What McLaren can offer?
We constantly strive to be better tomorrow than we are today. Our ambition is to be the most pioneering and exhilarating racing team in the world, and our collective task is to set the standards for high performance in sport. We show up every day with energy and enthusiasm, ready to play our part.
We encourage and support diversity, equity and inclusion. We will actively promote a culture that values difference and eliminates discrimination in our workplace.
McLaren Racing is based at the iconic McLaren Technology Centre (MTC) near Woking. Our state of the art, sustainable campus offers many facilities including a gym, swimming pool, restaurant and indoor and outdoor break-out areas, as well as direct access to park and common land. The MTC is connected to Woking mainline station via regular shuttle buses, from which London Waterloo is a 30 minute train ride.
We offer a comprehensive package of benefits including private healthcare, car schemes, life insurance and generous pension contributions.