Electrical Installation Design Engineer
Woking, England, United KingdomF1 - Technical
At McLaren Racing, we believe only by chasing performance in everything we do can we give ourselves the best chance of success. Performance on track and in the factory. Performance for our people, our business and our partners. It’s about more than winning. It’s about hitting the highest standards, and then raising the bar again.
At McLaren Racing, we’re not just here to try to take the chequered flag. We’re here to excite our fans, inspire our people and deliver for our partners. And we’re also committed to evolving our sport, our industry, and our technology, too.
Purpose of the role:
- Layout and design the electrical harnesses and units for F1 Race car to achieve an installation that is reliable, lightweight and optimises packaging opportunities for aero development.
- The role will involve understanding and developing the topology and mechanical specification of the harness, creating CAD routings box positions, and associated brackets, conduits, cooling ducts and mounting components; including any manufacturing tooling required.
- Reporting to the Head of Monocoque but integrate closely with electrical department and all design groups
- Research and implement new technologies to create unique solutions reduce packaging constraints across the car and enable sensor technologies to be deployed
- Work with Aerodynamics Departments to understand packaging constraints and support future aerodynamic development directions
- Conceptual and detail design of harness layout
- Conceptual and detail design of harness routes, conduits, brackets, retention saddles, secondary locking details and boots
- Digital mock-up review and reporting of all parts through design evolution.
- Weight analysis and reporting of installation masses
- When required, to assist in design across monocoque, bodywork, suspension and transmission groups
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Degree in Mechanical/Aeronautical Engineering or similar
- Good knowledge of racing car components and systems
- Excellent knowledge of composite and metallic materials and manufacturing techniques
- High Level of Proficiency in 3DExp or CATIA V5
- Basic PC skills – Word / Excel
- Experience in F1 or similar environment
- Proven experience in the design of composite components
- Good knowledge of Formula One regulations and electrical installation requirements
- High initiative level.
- Good problem-solving skills
- Good communication skills
- Great attention to detail
- Ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines
What McLaren can offer?
We constantly strive to be better tomorrow than we are today. Our ambition is to be the most pioneering and exhilarating racing team in the world, and our collective task is to set the standards for high performance in sport. We show up every day with energy and enthusiasm, ready to play our part.
We encourage and support diversity, equity and inclusion. We will actively promote a culture that values difference and eliminates discrimination in our workplace.
McLaren Racing is based at the iconic McLaren Technology Centre (MTC) near Woking. Our state of the art, sustainable campus offers many facilities including a gym, swimming pool, restaurant and indoor and outdoor break-out areas, as well as direct access to park and common land. The MTC is connected to Woking mainline station via regular shuttle buses, from which London Waterloo is a 30 minute train ride.
We offer a comprehensive package of benefits including private healthcare, car schemes, life insurance and generous pension contributions.