Electronics Development Engineer
United Kingdom, Surrey, WokingF1 - Technical
Purpose of the Role:
To define the architecture of on and off-car Electronics and Instrumentation and lead the implementation and delivery electronics and instrumentation to the F1 racing programme across the organisation.
The role requires an experienced professional engineer capable of delivering high quality electronics and instrumentation to support the wider F1 program. This engineer will be able to work without oversight to define and deliver complex systems according to agreed timelines and specifications and that meet the longer term need of the organisation.
High quality data is crucial to the team’s performance and reliability and the lead engineer’s work will have a significant impact on the organisation’s ability to realise its short- and medium-term goals. Collaboration within the electronics and wider team is also crucial and the engineer will develop a wide network of contacts within the team to deliver high quality instrumentation and data to internal customers. Awareness and understanding of the wider team’s roadmaps and aspirations will be important in ensuring the equipment defined achieves the most effective and best value solutions.
- Act as the technical authority and provide technical leadership to the wider team in the areas of electronics design, instrumentation and embedded systems development.
- Take a forward-looking view to the technology used, potential for future commonality and life cycle of the systems/solutions defined.
- Development of grid-leading electronics units and instrumentation for use on and off-car, including full responsibility for specification, design, testing and signoff.
- Identifying and driving long term strategic electronics and instrumentation R&D projects.
- Road-mapping development paths and strategies e.g. future SECU compatibility
- Consideration of the effect of future legislation on development e.g. cost capping, open source, parc ferme, sprint races
- Supporting and managing junior engineers and technicians to promote best practice and to develop robust and modern work practices within the team.
- Building and maintaining relationships with external suppliers and technical partners.
- Collaborating with the design, aero and race technology teams to advocate for and deliver high quality instrumentation, electronics systems and installations.
- Working with the PM Teams to ensure timely definition and ordering of long lead-time components.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of electronics design including digital, analogue, power and high-temperature electronics.
- Awareness of F1 regulation and legislation directions
- Knowledge of wider electronics technology developments and market forefront products
- Full life-cycle electronics unit and sensor development experience, from concept to production.
- Formula 1 experience, including the knowledge required to instrument and control on-car, wind tunnel and electrical systems.
- Ability to work independently, without support or close oversight.
- PCB/schematic design experience using Altium, including designing rigid/flex, HDI and high reliability PCBs for harsh environments.
- High quality embedded firmware development on embedded (ARM and Microchip) targets.
- PC Software development for production/test/calibration tooling.
- Ability to manage and plan own workload within a dynamic and time constrained environment.