Embedded Systems Development Engineer
Woking, England, United KingdomF1 - Technical
At McLaren Racing, we believe only by chasing performance in everything we do can we give ourselves the best chance of success. Performance on track and in the factory. Performance for our people, our business and our partners. It’s about more than winning. It’s about hitting the highest standards, and then raising the bar again.
Purpose of the Role:
Working within the Control Systems department, you will be responsible for the development and maintenance of high-performance test environments for the race car embedded software. This includes the implementation and execution of a test sequences, validation strategies and workflow, as well as its automation for non-regression testing. The role will also involve the development of bespoke embedded software and control strategies for deployment on simulators, dynos and rigs. This is a factory-based role.
In this position you will:
- Play a key role in the development, testing and verification of model based real time embedded applications for the F1 Standard ECU (SECU) and associated control strategies.
- Develop and maintain test environments for embedded software (Model in the Loop, Software in the Loop, Hardware in the Loop ,Driver in the Loop), including plant model development, integration and validation, control code integration, I/O and communications layer, and user interface.
- Execute functional testing and failure simulation testing for each relevant car system and associated control strategy.
- Advance our automated testing framework for non-regression testing on the HiL test environment: defining test suites, implementing automated test execution, and developing pass-off criteria and automated verification methodology.
- Support control software validation, via executing functional and non-regression testing for each software release.
- Develop bespoke F1 SECU embedded code for use on simulators, rigs and dynos, liaising with engineering customers to define control code requirements.
- Implement and validate control code in MATLAB/Simulink using the McLaren Applied toolset.
- Define workflow and develop automation tools for continuous integration of SECU code releases into simulators ,rigs and dynos.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Excellent degree or postgraduate qualification in a relevant engineering discipline.
- Proven track record in testing and validation of control software for real time embedded targets on MiL/SiL/HiL/DiL test environments.
- Experience in development of plant models for real time embedded targets.
- Experience with embedded coding and simulation techniques within MATLAB/Simulink.
- Ability to understand and resolve complex problems at both system and code level, thanks to a sound understanding of the behaviour of racing car systems (transmission, hydraulics, brake-by-wire) and associated control techniques.
- Experience in an automotive or racing environment.
Additional skills and experience that would complement this role are:
- Experience with the F1 SECU embedded code and McLaren Applied toolset (MCT, System Monitor, ATLAS, vTAG)
- Experience with high-speed communication interfaces such as CAN, CAN-FD and Ethernet.
- Data logging methods in embedded/real time systems.
- Knowledge of programming languages such as Python, C++, VBA.
- Technically amongst the best in class in their field..
- Innovative and enthusiastic self-starter, able to work autonomously under pressure and to tight deadlines.
- Able to operate effectively as part of a team and engage in a collaborative way with all levels in an organisation.
- Approachable, with balanced judgment and a high level of personal integrity.
What McLaren can offer?
We constantly strive to be better tomorrow than we are today. Our ambition is to be the most pioneering and exhilarating racing team in the world, and our collective task is to set the standards for high performance in sport. We show up every day with energy and enthusiasm, ready to play our part.
We encourage and support diversity, equity and inclusion. We will actively promote a culture that values difference and eliminates discrimination in our workplace.
McLaren Racing is based at the iconic McLaren Technology Centre (MTC) near Woking. Our state of the art, sustainable campus offers many facilities including a gym, restaurant and indoor and outdoor break-out areas, as well as direct access to park and common land. The MTC is connected to Woking mainline station via regular shuttle buses, from which London Waterloo is a 30 minute train ride.
We offer a comprehensive package of benefits including private healthcare, car schemes, life insurance and generous pension contributions.