HPC Systems Engineer
Woking, England, United KingdomF1 - Technical
At McLaren Racing, we’re not just here to try to take the chequered flag. We’re here to excite our fans, inspire our people and deliver for our partners. And we’re also committed to evolving our sport, our industry, and our technology, too.
Purpose of the Role:
We are looking for a High Performance Computing (HPC) Systems Engineer (Infrastructure) to help maximise performance of our HPC applications, maintain a high-end HPC service that meet the very demanding requirements of the McLaren Racing’s computational engineering environment. This is an opportunity to work in a fast-paced, innovative high technology environment, focusing on pure performance and exploring a diverse range of new hardware and software technologies in supercomputing.
- Responsible for the day-to-day operational support of the McLaren Racing HPC estate: manage and solve any hardware and software issues that may arise.
- Keep abreast of latest HPC and industry developments and investigate the suitability of newly available technologies, including but not limited to: new CPU technologies, HMB, memory and high-speed interconnects, web-based software technologies and parallel high performance computing application tuning & optimization. Report back and make recommendations.
- Assist in hardware and software upgrade programmes to implement these new technologies.
- Provide Linux skills and support to CFD methodology engineers and HPC users.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Excellent knowledge of Linux based systems
- Knowledge of HPC hardware including clusters, storage and interconnects
- HPC system and package management tools
- Administration and use of HPC batch job schedulers.
- Storage knowledge, HPC parallel file system and general file sharing protocols
- Knowledge and experience of system and process virtualisation.
- Computer architecture, CPU, GPU, Memory and I/O subsystems
- Strong python and/or shell scripting and debugging
- System and infrastructure monitoring tools
- Benchmarking techniques and tools
- Familiar with databases: both SQL and no-SQL.
- In-depth application development with C. C++
- Robust software engineering principles and knowledge of full software development lifecycle.
- Application profiling and performance tuning.
- Developed and maintained automation using DevOps tools and processes
- Degree in related subject such as Computer Science, or industry certification
- Have excellent problem-solving skills and analytical approach, with attention to detail.
- Self-starter, able to identify requirements independently, then make proposals for solutions.
- A team player but with the initiative to make own decisions and work with minimal supervision.
- Aptitude to learn from others, share knowledge with others, and promote continuous improvement of our processes.
- High level of personal commitment, occasional availability on weekends and out of hours may be required.
- Good communication skills.
What can McLaren offer?
We constantly strive to be better tomorrow than we are today. Our ambition is to be the most pioneering and exhilarating racing team in the world, and our collective task is to set the standards for high performance in sport. We show up every day with energy and enthusiasm, ready to play our part.
We encourage and support diversity, equity and inclusion. We will actively promote a culture that values difference and eliminates discrimination in our workplace.
McLaren Racing is based at the iconic McLaren Technology Centre (MTC) near Woking. Our state of the art, sustainable campus offers many facilities including a gym, swimming pool, restaurant and indoor and outdoor break-out areas, as well as direct access to park and common land. The MTC is connected to Woking mainline station via regular shuttle buses, from which London Waterloo is a 30 minute train ride.
Hybrid working patterns give you options to balance your home life and outside interests with your work. We offer a comprehensive package of benefits including private healthcare, car schemes, life insurance and generous pension contributions.