IndyCar R&D and Design Engineer
United Kingdom, Surrey, WokingIndyCar
As the McLaren IndyCar Team continues to push design and development across all areas of performance and track type, there is a need to support this drive via R&D and Design.
Purpose of the Role:
Rig test developments, CFD and advanced on-car instrumentation installations are key components to this role. All require a highly motivated and multi-disciplinary design engineer who can work as part of a team and to tight deadlines.
- Develop CAD models for road and oval course specifications ensuring they are at highest levels of accuracy with all existing and latest options
- Develop kinematic movement to CAD model to enable detailed CFD simulations
- Scope and design bespoke data gathering installations such as aero rake assemblies and additional sensor systems
- Research free areas of development such as corner damper and tri-spring installations
- Scope and design adaptations and interfaces to VT testing equipment to suit IndyCar
- Support Transmission and Brake dyno programs via design and wider engineering input
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent
- Fully conversant with 3DX
- Knowledge and understanding of MRL design release, ERP and manufacturing systems plus testing processes
- MIDAS and/or other performance analysis tools experience beneficial
- ATLAS data acquisition experience beneficial
- Experience in other non F1 motor sports categories
- Knowledge and understanding of Data Science technology
- Multi-disciplinary skillset to enable a range of projects to be undertaken
- Willingness to flex into new engineering disciplines and take on new challenges
- Self-motivated and keen to learn new skills
- A team player who can support others
- Good analytical skills and attention to detail
- Results focused and driven to achieve successful outcome
- Passionate about motor racing
- Passionate about the Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) agenda, particularly its application in motorsport
This role will involve periodic travel to our US facility, track tests, races and dyno/rig tests.
All employees must ensure compliance with the Company Health and Safety Policy, and all relevant other statutory Health and Safety legislation.
This job description may not detail some more minor duties allocated to the post holder or cover duties of a similar nature commensurate with the role, which may from time to time be reasonably required by the relevant manager.