The principle purpose of the role is to support the Executive Director, Technical F1, Executive Director, Racing F1, and their leadership teams, to effectively navigate the finance environment of budgeting, financial governance & compliance, capital investment appraisal, and the FIA Financial Regulations, to support the delivery of their Function’s strategic objectives.
The role requires collaboration with all areas of the business, providing the opportunity to present recommendations to the Executive team based on quality management information to influence the future direction and strategy of the business.
With significant capital investment projects underway and Formula One now being governed by the sport’s Financial Regulations (Cost Cap); the Finance Partner has never been more pivotal in supporting the team balance cost and performance, drive operational and financial efficiencies and achieve McLaren’s mission to win the F1 World Championship.
This role requires flexibility to working hours, working in a fast-paced multi-tasking environment and comfortable dealing with high volume of workload. You will be the first point of contact for Executive Director / Director level colleagues and all those with budget ownership responsibilities. You will have 1 direct report.
World Class Decision Support (50%)
- Providing strategic financial support and expert advice to the Executive Director, Technical F1, Executive Director, Racing F1, and their leadership teams
- Developing a culture of EBITDA and Cost Cap budget ownership across the functions
- Presentation and communication of financial variances in the Technical & Racing Functions including labour, Cost of Car, IT and overheads and capital investment projects
- Building partnerships and maintaining strong relationships with key stakeholders
Strategic Financial Planning, Performance Management & Efficiency Improvement (30%)
- Responsible for the preparation of budgets and forecasts for P&L, Balance Sheet and Cash for the Technical & Racing Functions
- Identification of EBITDA and Cost Cap risks and opportunities alongside recommendations for prevention and limitation
- Lead the preparation of capital investment appraisals within the Functions, challenging commercial arrangements and ensuring alignment to strategic goals
- Improve financial performance management through continual improvement of reporting tools, ensuring key stakeholders have access to relevant, accurate reports from the BI system
Financial Controls & Governance (20%)
- Supporting compliance with the FIA Financial Regulations through monthly transaction reviews, process development and training Technical & Racing Functions on relevant regulations.
- Development of processes and systems to facilitate robust budgetary controls
- Continuing development internal systems and processes to improve data capture
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- ACA / ACCA / CIMA qualified
- Exceptional analytical skills; able to filter vast quantities of qualitative and quantitative data to identify the most salient points for action
- Experience proposing, justifying, initiating and implementing change
- Excellent Excel & IT skills, Power BI desirable
- Expert in the detailed interpretation and application of the FIA Financial Regulations
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills; adept at succinctly framing the strategic opportunities and recommending the best option for McLaren to proceed
- Ability to work effectively under intense pressure and demonstrate emotional resilience and intelligence in the face of competing demands
- Creative problem solver able to use leadership, technical skills and relationships to implement solutions
- Ability see the value in the information you provide and to inspire others to make effective use of it
- The drive, determination and commitment to get things done and get results
- Displays a professional curiosity to seek opportunities for continual improvement, and bravery to challenge the status-quo
- Recognises key stakeholders and makes conscious effort to build relationships to create alignment of objectives and values.
These are our core values. They support our vision ‘to deliver the most exciting and inspiring performance in racing and are the things that we believe are most important in the way we live and work within the McLaren Racing family. They should directly inform how we think, how we behave, and how we perform at every level of our team.
- We never stop pushing forward
- We look for advantage in everything
- We bring creativity to challenges
- We strive for simplicity
- We bring energy to everything we do
- We connect people to the thrill of racing
- We share passion for our great sport
- We never give up
- We are respectful
- We roll up our sleeves to get the job done
- We serve the team
- We are custodians of our legacy
- We are open minded and curious
- We own failures, learn and improve
- We communicate with clarity and honesty
- We are open to challenge
- We are at our best when we’re at our bravest
- We embrace opportunity
- We take responsibility for our actions
- We believe in what we do
All employees must ensure compliance with the Company Health and Safety Policy, and all relevant other statutory Health and Safety legislation.
This job description may not detail some less major duties allocated to the post holder, nor cover duties of a similar nature, commensurate with the role, which may from time to time be reasonably required by the relevant manager.