Operative, Rigs and Component Technician
United Kingdom, England, WokingF1 - Operations
Purpose of the Role:
Primary activity is to lead or assist in the operation and maintenance of our F1 Production Build dynamometers whilst also undertaking training in the use of our laboratory rigs. Comprising of, but not exclusive to, various cross departmental disciplines of component sign off and test procedures, material and structures development, suspension control system characterisation and homologation sign-off.
- Gearbox Dyno operations and Durability run programs
- Gearbox installation/removal ensuring correct instrumentation application
- Define and instigate (in conjunction with transmission assembly department) in run servicing/inspection intervals for transmission components
- Define, Maintain, and action Gearbox dynamometer and rig service/maintenance schedules
- Routine service, and testing of car components
- Type approval of new and first off components
- Development testing on present and future concepts and materials
- Install/maintain relevant test instrumentation hardware and ensure reliable function
- Monitor, capture, post process and present test data to engineers, databases and lifing software suites
- Compile run reports
- Assist with installation of test assemblies/components
- Assist with both on and off-site homologation tests
All the above are required to be completed to a very high standard, often to tight deadlines and in a pressurised environment.
To ensure ongoing proficiency and by way of continuous improvement the successful applicant, where appropriate, will be enlisted into existing training programmes to ensure all team members utilise current or develop new skill sets. As such you will be required to show flexibility and willingness to learn on the job.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Recent experience of working with Formula 1 contemporary transmission, transient engine or similar dynamometers for a highly technical engineering function
- Familiarisation with MTS’s “ADC” operating control software
- Good understanding of car drivetrains, components and sub-assemblies within a motorsport vehicle technology environment
- Ability to interpret engineering specifications and drawings
- Experience in the use, application and maintenance of data acquisition sensors
- Familiarity with data acquisition software such as ATLAS
- Experience in the use, set up and operation of hydraulic actuators and test rigs working in both position and load control would be advantageous but not essential
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office products
- A drive and commitment to continuous improvement
- Good communicative skills for both receipt and feedback of engineering information
- Must be able to proactively use initiative where appropriate
- Highly self-motivated to achieve targets set both for this role and the wider team
- A team player who is supportive of others
- Determined, results focused and driven to achieve successful outcome
- Eager to learn and develop own skills
- Good analytical skills and attention to detail
- Ability to work effectively to deadlines
- The ability and willingness to travel both in the UK and abroad as required to support dynamometer activities and test house attendance for type approval and homologation
What can McLaren offer?
We strive to provide a fun, innovative, collaborative and open culture where everyone’s input is welcome, and everyone feels part of our achievements. We work hard to create a culture of continuous improvement and support this with a proactive approach to management and personal development.
McLaren Racing is based at the iconic McLaren Technology Centre on the edge of Woking. Our large campus includes a gym, swimming pool, restaurant and indoor and outdoor break-out areas, as well as direct access to park land. MTC is connected to Woking mainline station via regular shuttle buses, from which London Waterloo is a 32min train ride.
We encourage hybrid working patterns to give you options to balance your home life and hobbies with your work, and offer a comprehensive package of benefits including private healthcare, car schemes, life insurance and generous pension contributions.