Indianapolis, Indiana, United StatesIndyCar
Arrow McLaren is the McLaren Racing IndyCar team located on the West side of Indianapolis. By joining our team, you’ll be part of an exhilarating racing program that’s aiming to change the sport for the better by setting the standard for performance.
Innovative – Respectful – Inclusive – Energetic – Brave
We want members of this team to approach each day with a simple goal in mind: To build better race cars and build a better race team. Focus on the process, enjoy the process of continual improvement, and let the results take care of themselves.
Purpose of the Role: This role reports to the Trackside Engineering Lead at Arrow McLaren.
As key member of the race engineering group, you will work closely with your Race Engineer and Race Driver to maximize the performance of your Arrow McLaren INDYCAR entry during race and test events.
This all-encompassing role involves extensive data analysis, simulation, and driver analysis. You will be expected to prioritize your efforts according to where you feel you can find the greatest performance improvements.
This position requires extensive travel. The successful candidate will work creatively in a team atmosphere while adhering to tight deadlines and remaining calm in high pressure situations.
Work closely with your fellow Performance Engineers, Race Engineer and Driver to maximize race car performance. This includes, but is not limited to, the following areas:
- Driving technique analysis / driver coaching
- Car setup / vehicle dynamics analysis and simulation
- Gear ratio selection and gear shift strategies
- Drivability optimization
- Hybrid system energy recovery and deployment optimization
- Brake system performance
- Cooling optimization
- Tire management
- Fuel saving
- Aerodynamic performance
- Analyze car data to ensure the vehicle is operating as expected and make data-driven suggestions for improving performance
- Analyze potential setup changes as decided by your Race Engineer and yourself using simulation tools
- Take ownership of engineering projects aimed at improving car performance
- Manage, plan and execute simulator (driver-in-the-loop) tests as required
- Champion automation, effective analytics, and lean reporting. Work smarter, not harder
- Help establish, embrace, and influence a culture that carries out the team’s values; innovative, respectful, inclusive, brave, energetic
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical, electrical, or computer engineering, engineering technology, computer science, physics, or equivalent
- Strong background in vehicle dynamics
- Experience analyzing logged vehicle data
- Minimum 3 years of professional motorsport experience
- Experience using Pi Toolbox or McLaren Atlas
- Experience with vehicle simulation
- Background with a high-level programming language (Matlab, Python, C++, C#)
- Prior trackside engineering role
- Comprehensive Medical, Dental, & Vision benefits
- 401(k) Retirement match
- Voluntary life, short-term and long-term disability benefits
- Annual bonus plan
- Competitive time off plan
- Team discounts, including kit apparel
Arrow McLaren is committed to equal employment opportunity. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, disability, ethnicity, gender (including gender identity and gender expression), marital status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other status or condition protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.