PhD Intern - CFD R&D
United Kingdom, Surrey, WokingF1 - Technical
Purpose of the Role:
At McLaren Racing we pride ourselves in engineering excellence and we achieve this by working together and encouraging innovation in an outstanding high-performance environment.
The McLaren PhD internship programme in CFD and data analytics gives you an opportunity to work in a unique & challenging environment of the motorsport aerodynamics department.
As an intern in the CFD methodology team, you will be involved in the development/evaluation of CFD methods, big data analytics, machine learning and neural networks techniques and other tools to be used in the aerodynamic design of the F1 car.
Interns will also have an opportunity to work on projects providing CFD support to non-aero departments. Working closely with the aerodynamicists, CFD R&D engineers and HPC systems engineers, you will have an opportunity to learn practical aspects of motorsport aerodynamic design.
The internship is open to PhD students in engineering or computing science from the second year onwards and this four-months program starts in September.
- Collaborate with other members of the CFD Methodology and HPC team to evaluate new concepts, and work towards their implementation in production if viable.
- Perform different short-term tasks to help the daily development of the CFD workflow or provide support to Aerodynamicists.
- This role is historically predominantly factory based but with a weekly portion of remote working.
- CFD project leaders and other members of the CFD Methodology and HPC team.
- Champion one or two concepts considered by the CFD technology team in their workflow. Develop in-depth understanding (literature review, application cases) and techniques to address their limitations or improve them; help their implementation in F1 environment.
- A team player but with the initiative to make own decisions and work with minimal supervision.
- Self-starter, able to identify requirements independently, then make proposals for solutions.
- Able to work under pressure, sometimes with tight deadlines or changing priorities.
- Highly driven and ready to go beyond what is expected at every opportunity.
- Excellent communication skills to target a variety of audiences.
- The ability to influence and embed knowledge to other members of the team.
- The ability to follow CFD Methodology development directions independently.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and analytical approach, with attention to detail.
- Open mindedness to ensure high flexibility and the capacity to manage rapid and profound changes of scopes, development directions and processes.
- Aptitude to learn from others and share knowledge with others.
What can McLaren offer?
We strive to provide a fun, innovative, collaborative and open culture where everyone’s input is welcome, and everyone feels part of our achievements. We work hard to create a culture of continuous improvement and support this with a proactive approach to management and personal development.
McLaren Racing is based at the iconic McLaren Technology Centre on the edge of Woking. Our large campus includes a gym, swimming pool, restaurant and indoor and outdoor break-out areas, as well as direct access to park land. MTC is connected to Woking mainline station via regular shuttle buses, from which London Waterloo is a 32min train ride.
We encourage hybrid working patterns to give you options to balance your home life and hobbies with your work, and offer a comprehensive package of benefits including private healthcare, car schemes, life insurance and generous pension contributions.