Race Engineer - NEOM McLaren Electric Racing
Bicester, England, United KingdomElectric Racing
At NEOM McLaren Electric Racing, our ambition is to win races and championships. We love the challenge of competing against the best, pushing the limits of performance and technology, while inspiring our people to pursue innovation and unlock their potential in the ever-growing world of motorsport.
McLaren Racing’s entry in Extreme E and Formula E aims to accelerate McLaren Racing’s sustainability journey and reach a new, more diverse global audience and workforce. Based on the unique Bicester Heritage site, the Extreme E and Formula E teams combined are known as NEOM McLaren Electric Racing.
Purpose of the Role
The main purpose of this role is to work collaboratively as part of the race engineering team which supports all race, test, and simulator activities.
The role will work alongside other members of the Race Engineering group with a focus on managing the Race Support Room during race weekends and active involvement in pre-race preparation and post-race analysis. The role will also include leading simulator sessions and engineering the test car. Working closely with Race Engineering, Vehicle Dynamics and Track Operations groups.
Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Managing the engineers in the Race Support Room to deliver required analysis & support.
- Lead simulator sessions for car development, race preparation and post-race correlation.
- Running a car in Test sessions to a pre-defined schedule, managing the driver, directing the mechanics and tyre technician.
- Developing a speciality area within the Race Engineers group.
- Preparing pre & post event documentation.
- Analysis of key performance metrics of car performance in Formula E race and test events.
- Working with the Race / Test driver to maximise their performance.
- Ensuring legality of the car to the established procedures.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Degree in engineering or comparable higher education.
- At least 5 years’ experience in high level motor sports – Formula E experience very beneficial.
- Outstanding problem solving, mathematical and data science skills.
- Good theoretical knowledge in the field of vehicle dynamics and the requirements thereof.
- Knowledge of commercial data analysis programs, e.g. ATLAS 9/10.
- High level communication skills both verbal and written.
- Ability to operate with a clear head when under pressure.
- Able to manage a group of engineers & technicians.
- Capacity to convey/report technical information clearly and concisely both written and verbal.
- A proven ability to deliver effectively in tight motorsport deadlines.
- Able to operate effectively independently as well as part of a team.
- High level of commitment with a willingness to learn.
- Flexible approach to working hours including weekend work.
- Willingness to travel.
What can McLaren offer?
We strive to provide a fun, innovative, collaborative and open culture where everyone’s input is welcome, and everyone feels part of our achievements. We work hard to create a culture of continuous improvement and support this with a proactive approach to management and personal development.
NEOM McLaren Electric Racing is based at the Bicester Heritage site on the edge of Bicester. There are multiple lunch options all within a walkable distance as well as on-site kitchen facilities, indoor and outdoor break-out areas. The site is 1 mile from Bicester North Train Station with regular trains from London and Birmingham.
We encourage hybrid working patterns to give you options to balance your home life and hobbies with your work, and offer a comprehensive package of benefits including private healthcare, car schemes, life insurance and generous pension contributions.