Senior Executive, Communications - eSports & F1
United Kingdom, England, WokingCommunications
Purpose of the Role:
You'll be playing an active role in the day-to-day operations and press office support of the McLaren Racing communications function, supporting the delivery of first-class media relations for McLaren Racing to enhance brand awareness, drive value for corporate partners and grow the fanbase.
You'll be Based at McLaren Technology Centre with some global travel to events across our race series including Formula 1 race and test events. You’ll be the primary point of call in the planning and execution of communications activity for McLaren Shadow (esports/gaming) and link into our esports marketing team. You'll be reporting into the Communications Director but need to build strong relationships with people across the team. There is no such thing as a standard working week, and you'll need to be prepared to be flexible with working hours.
You'll work collaboratively within the Communications team, supporting McLaren Racing’s media relations activities, including but not limited to:
- Primary point of call in the planning and execution of communications activity for McLaren Shadow (esports/gaming).
- Manage esports driver communications and
- Press office support and managing the day-to-day running of the Comms team’s operations
- To oversee, manage and develop the range of comms tools required for general running of the press office, including press release distribution systems, image libraries, online media centre, content plans and file sharing platforms
- Proactively raising and actioning media opportunities where appropriate
- Oversee and manage coverage monitoring, reporting and evaluation for the wider company, and supporting the Internal Communications Manager from trackside
- Provide pro-active operational support to the wider Comms team across racing series by managing media databases, distribution lists, media centre subscribers, templates and company assets, sourcing information and imagery when required, and liaising with finance departments to ensure timely and regular payments to relevant contractors and suppliers
- To effectively and professionally organise, oversee and execute on photography, filming and media opportunities within McLaren Technology Centre, and work with key stakeholders and management across the company to result in positive media coverage for McLaren Racing
- To proactively engage with key media contacts, developing relationships and supporting efficient and effective timely responses to media to maintain and build McLaren’s reputation as a first-class media relations operation
- Prepare briefing material and deliver briefings for media activity and engagements that include McLaren Racing spokespeople
- To produce high-quality media-facing written material in the form of press releases, briefing documents, website copy, marketing collateral and media correspondence where required, of a high quality and in a format that can be used across digital and traditional media platforms, and act as first point of contact for copy proofing and editing
- To be a proactive liaison within the wider Comms team as well as Digital, Partnerships, Brand Experience and Brand Creative departments in relation to partner activity, media events and comms and digital campaigns where appropriate
- To support the Racing communications team with race weekend organisation (including some attendance at Grands Prix and events), liaison with key stakeholders such as senior management and external media, and creating and managing media schedules and content opportunities
- To act as talent and media liaison at events, including coordinating interviews and press conferences
To join our race for performance, you'll need:
- Experience in a busy communications environment within a specialist communications/media/PR role
- F1 or other motorsport experience in a similar role is advantageous
- Experience with talent liaison an advantage
- Strong organisational skills and co-ordination capabilities
- Media relations – developing relationships with journalists, managing media enquiries, drafting media materials, identifying proactive media opportunities, managing reactive responses to inbound media enquiries
- Senior personnel and stakeholder engagement – experience dealing with senior team management, personnel and stakeholders
- Able to work flexibly, adjusting working hours and occasional weekend travel when necessary
- Strong relationship building skills with all media representatives of various nationalities, business focus and disciplines
- Excellent communication skills – both written and verbal – and able to represent McLaren in a Comms capacity in a professional manner at all times
You'll likely be in your second PR or Comms role and looking for that next step in your career. You love writing and you're mad about F1! A pressured and demanding workload doesn't faze you, in fact, it's when you do your best work. This role will come with some administrative tasks, but you're the kind of person who knows how important it is to get that stuff right. You are proactive and positive in your approach and not afraid to get stuck in.
We're also looking for someone who:
- Is able to effectively and confidently communicate with internal and external stakeholders of all levels of seniority
- Has excellent verbal and interpersonal skills
- Has strong copywriting skills
- Has great attention to detail
- Knows the value of teamwork and is able to work both proactively within a small team and co-ordinate the management of tasks within the team, as well as play an active role in the wider department
- Has an inquisitive and self-starting nature, with the ability to manage your own workload
- Has the ability to build strong and meaningful relationships with key stakeholders both internally and externally and to become a trusted representative of the Comms team
- Can multi-task and juggle several of ongoing projects at once
What can McLaren offer?
We strive to provide a fun, innovative, collaborative and open culture where everyone’s input is welcome, and everyone feels part of our achievements. We work hard to create a culture of continuous improvement and support this with a proactive approach to management and personal development.
McLaren Racing is based at the iconic McLaren Technology Centre on the edge of Woking. Our large campus includes a gym, swimming pool, restaurant and indoor and outdoor break-out areas, as well as direct access to park land. MTC is connected to Woking mainline station via regular shuttle buses, from which London Waterloo is a 32min train ride.
We encourage hybrid working patterns to give you options to balance your home life and hobbies with your work, and offer a comprehensive package of benefits including private healthcare, car schemes, life insurance and generous pension contributions.