Senior Suspension Designer
United Kingdom, , WokingF1 - Technical
Summary of the Role:
You will be responsible for specifying and leading the engineering design and car integration of a significant area of the race car with responsibility for drawings, legality adherence, rig testing and calculations to deliver a success project to operate in the race car environment.
You will report to the Design Team Leader for this project discipline.
- Design layout work and calculation to define significant areas of the race car
- Detail design of chassis / suspension components
- Good knowledge of the FIA technical and sporting rules to ensure all parts adhere to legality requirements
- Liaising with other technical groups including aerodynamics, trackside, FE and suppliers to the successful design and safe and reliable deployment of all projects, including managing any fault fixes required
- Ability to be deputise for the TL in his absence to be the accountable representative for the design group
- Specification / Design of test equipment required and organisation and overseeing of rig testing to prove out parts
- Data analysis, reporting of results in a clear, concise and structured manner and making recommendations for improvements
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Strong Degree in Mechanical/ Aeronautical Engineering or equivalent
- Good overall knowledge of the race car design and its operating environment, ideally chassis systems.
- Experience of producing engineering drawings and overseeing testing
- Ability to work quickly and accurately with CAD systems, ideally 3DX, however if you have experience with Catia V5 or NX, this will also be considered.
- Strong technical ability with good mechanical and composite design knowledge
- Ideally experience within F1 or Motorsport.
- Enthusiastic and self-motivated with high levels of initiative
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills with ability to lead others on projects
- Attention to accuracy and detail
What can McLaren offer?
We strive to provide a fun, innovative, collaborative and open culture where everyone’s input is welcome, and everyone feels part of our achievements. We work hard to create a culture of continuous improvement and support this with a proactive approach to management and personal development.
McLaren Racing is based at the iconic McLaren Technology Centre on the edge of Woking. Our large campus includes a gym, swimming pool, restaurant and indoor and outdoor break-out areas, as well as direct access to park land. MTC is connected to Woking mainline station via regular shuttle buses, from which London Waterloo is a 32min train ride.
We encourage hybrid working patterns to give you options to balance your home life and hobbies with your work, and offer a comprehensive package of benefits including private healthcare, car schemes, life insurance and generous pension contributions.