United Kingdom, England, WokingF1 - Technical
Purpose of the Role:
The purpose of this role is to analyse, design and engineer innovative software solutions to projects aligned with the requirements of McLaren Racing.
The Software & Data Science department is responsible for the analysis, design, and delivery of bespoke software tools which ultimately help improve our Formula 1 car's performance. This starts with aerodynamicists submitting designs via the CFD Portal, through wind tunnel data acquisition, processing, and analysis, to simulation and car setup optimisation, to trackside operational decision-making tools such as race strategy. We are a cross-functional group, bringing together data science, machine learning, software engineering, and DevOps to create solutions for our customers' needs.
As a Specialist Software Engineer, you will be involved in all stages of the development life cycle from initial analysis right through to deployment, monitoring, and support. Due to the nature of track and tunnel operations, some flexibility to work out of office hours and weekends will be required. The role will be primarily based at the McLaren Technology Centre with a proportion of the time spent working from home.
- To be involved in all stages of the development life cycle: initial analysis, design, implementation, build, integration, testing, deployment, debugging and support
- To take ownership and lead on assigned projects (with support from your manager) in order to deliver project solutions on time and budget
- To capture and understand project requirements, define specifications, and to architect robust, scalable and testable software and system solutions
- To work collaboratively with your team, the department, and stakeholders in line with the Software & Data Science Guiding Principles
- To accurately estimate activity timescales and provide regular progress reports
- To raise awareness of and mitigate against potential technical risks
- To confidently analyse and overcome technical challenges with workable and innovative solutions
- To contribute to and maintain consistent standards and approaches adopted by the team
- To efficiently manage your workload
- To keep up to date with the latest software development technologies and methodologies
- To freely share knowledge, insight, best practice, and ideas
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- BSc in Computer Science or equivalent discipline (2:1 or above) or equivalent industry experience.
- Substantial commercial experience delivering projects using agile/lean methodologies
- High proficiency with at least one backend language used in a commercial setting (ideally C#/.NET or Python)
- Experience using git in a collaborative environment (pull requests, feature branches)
- Experience with SQL and document databases e.g. SQL Server and MongoDB
- Experience building maintainable codebases using the SOLID principles and design patterns
- High competency in written and oral English language
- Exposure to data stream processing techniques and technologies e.g. Kafka
- Experience with Linux and running containers on Kubernetes
- Experience of multi-threaded application development
- Experience using cloud technologies e.g. Microsoft Azure
- Self-motivated with high levels of initiative.
- Highly productive with the proven aptitude to understand and apply technology.
- You enjoy working with people to solve problems, choosing the simplest and most elegant approach then iterating
- You're flexible and adaptable, detail orientated, and get satisfaction from delivering to a high standard
- Able to work autonomously under pressure and to tight deadlines.
- You recognise the importance of continuous learning and sharing that knowledge with others
- Approachable, with balanced judgment and a high level of personal integrity.
What can McLaren offer?
We strive to provide a fun, innovative, collaborative and open culture where everyone’s input is welcome, and everyone feels part of our achievements. We work hard to create a culture of continuous improvement and support this with a proactive approach to management and personal development.
McLaren Racing is based at the iconic McLaren Technology Centre on the edge of Woking. Our large campus includes a gym, swimming pool, restaurant and indoor and outdoor break-out areas, as well as direct access to park land. MTC is connected to Woking mainline station via regular shuttle buses, from which London Waterloo is a 32min train ride.
We encourage hybrid working patterns to give you options to balance your home life and hobbies with your work, and offer a comprehensive package of benefits including private healthcare, car schemes, life insurance and generous pension contributions.