Woking, England, United KingdomMcLaren Advanced Projects
McLaren Advanced Projects
McLaren Advanced Projects (MAP) is a multidisciplinary engineering unit that works on many of the most ambitious technical challenges at McLaren Racing. The newly created function is designed to innovate and unlock performance across various racing series operating worldwide.
But racing is just the start. McLaren Advanced Projects also collaborates with McLaren Automotive on hypercars and supercars, and undertakes projects on a wide range of scientific and engineering projects for our partners.
Within McLaren Advanced Projects, we assemble integrated teams to work across the full development process from concept to release, drawing on 60 years of continuous development in F1 and beyond. Team members bring a wide range of skills to bear on our projects, from aerodynamics and computational fluid dynamics to lightweight structures and composites, data science and advanced simulations.
Purpose of the Role
The main focus of the role is to develop innovative software solutions for our wide motorsport programme within McLaren Racing as well as external partners. This includes analysis of workflows and engineering challenges to identify how digital solutions can enable better decision making and give new insights.
We are looking for Software Engineers at all levels, if you have relevant experience in this field then please apply.
Accountabilities and Responsibilities
- Be involved in all stages of the development life cycle: initial analysis, design, implementation, build, integration, testing, deployment, debugging and support
- Take ownership and lead on assigned projects (with support from your manager) in order to deliver project solutions on time and budget
- Capture and understand project requirements, define specifications, and to architect robust, scalable and testable software and system solutions
- Work collaboratively with your team, the department, and stakeholders in line with guiding principles for software development in MAP
- Accurately estimate activity timescales and provide regular progress reports
- Raise awareness of and mitigate against potential technical risks
- Confidently analyse and overcome technical challenges with workable and innovative solutions
- Contribute to and maintain consistent standards and approaches adopted by the team
- Efficiently manage your workload
- Keep up to date with the latest software development technologies and methodologies
- Freely share knowledge, insight, best practice, and ideas
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- BSc in Computer Science or equivalent discipline (2:1 or above) or equivalent industry experience.
- Substantial commercial experience delivering projects using agile/lean methodologies
- High proficiency with at least one backend language used in a commercial setting (ideally C#/.NET or Python)
- Experience using git in a collaborative environment (pull requests, feature branches)
- Experience with SQL and document databases e.g. SQL Server and MongoDB
- Experience building maintainable codebases using the SOLID principles and design patterns
- High competency in written and oral English language
- Excellent problem-solving skills and analytical approach, with attention to detail.
- Open mindedness to ensure high flexibility and the capacity to manage rapid and profound changes of scopes, development directions and processes.
- Aptitude to learn from others and share knowledge with others.
- Has a clear understanding of the challenges, role and operation of motorsport departments.
- Recognises the place of the new division in the wider context of the team and how this group contributes to the success of MAP.
- Flexible approach to working hours and occasional travel.
What can McLaren Offer
We strive to provide a fun, innovative, collaborative and open culture where everyone’s input is welcome, and everyone feels part of our achievements. We work hard to create a culture of continuous improvement and support with a proactive approach to management and personal development.
McLaren Advanced Projects is based at the iconic McLaren Technology Centre on the edge of Woking. Our large campus includes a gym, swimming pool, restaurant and indoor and outdoor break-out areas, as well as direct access to park land. MTC is connected to Woking mainline station via regular shuttle buses, from which London Waterloo is a 32 min train ride.
We encourage hybrid working patterns to give you options to balance your home life and hobbies with your work, and offer a comprehensive package of benefits including private healthcare, car schemes, life insurance and generous pension contributions.