Specialist Buyer - Technical, Production and Racing
United Kingdom, Surrey, WokingFinance & Procurement
Winning takes on many different forms. It’s not just about being the first to take the chequered flag. It’s about exciting our fans, inspiring our people and delivering for our partners. And it’s about evolving our sport, our industry, our technology.
Right now, we’re on a journey to becoming a World Championship contending race team in every series we enter - from F1 to Indy Car, Extreme E and eSports. And we’re getting there by building a world-class place to work.
You will have responsibility for all Indirect purchasing duties, contract management, agreement and project activities from inception to completion, including but not limited to the production of all relevant contracts, agreements, SLAs, PO’s and KPIs, specifically in relation to supporting the Technical, Production and Racing areas of the business. Leading on negotiations and the resolution of commercial issues will be essential, whilst ensuring that a robust contract management process is followed, all deliverables are met in a timely and agreed manner, and with strong relationship management and communication with all key stakeholders being maintained throughout.
- Reporting directly to the Purchasing Manager, the main purpose of this role is to manage the overall performance, and retain responsibility for, the successful delivery of Indirect products and services in relation to the Technical, Production and Racing departments, with specific focus on those products and services managed by way of contracts, agreements and projects.
- Working within the Purchasing team and with the Finance and Legal teams, and working collaboratively with key stakeholders across the McLaren Racing business, to ensure that requirements and strategic objectives are being met.
- Delivering demonstrable commercial benefits and contractual controls, whilst mitigating risk, along with supplier relationship development with product and services providers.
- Flexibility within, and support across the purchasing team in a wide range of tasks, will be required along with a professional and positive attitude and approach to the dynamic and varying demands of the business.
- Where required, accountability for construction and delivery of contractual documentation, including contract scope, as well as delivery of purchase orders, in liaison with key stakeholders, with a focus on commercial cost management and budgetary controls, as well as service delivery to the required standards.
- Maintain & develop positive Supplier Relationship Management processes with a view to building long term relationships, to ensure successful performance and delivery of the agreed deliverables.
- Monitoring and influencing the performance of suppliers in relation to contracts and agreements including purchase orders, both directly as well as in partnership with key stakeholders.
- Upholding a professional, personable and proactive approach to the role, whilst maintaining positive communication with all key stakeholders as well as the wider business.
- Negotiate with suppliers, to ensure adherence to budgetary controls, whilst ensuring that deliverable standards, scopes and specifications are met, as well as timely delivery of products or services in relation to the contract.
- Alongside suppliers and stakeholders, construct relevant and achievable KPI targets in keeping with the supply of products or services in relation to the contract.
- Continuous improvement of processes and administrative functions required to complete role, to ensure a streamlined and efficient way of working and reporting.
- Working in collaboration with, and with the support of, the wider Indirect Purchasing team, maintain the Contracts Register, and act upon impending milestones to secure required contract re-negotiations or renewals in a timely manner. Ensure that the McLaren Racing programme and facilities requirements run unhindered and without breaks in any key contracts or service agreements.
- Development, loading and maintenance of purchase orders as necessary, in line with both the contractual aspect of the role, as well as day to day purchasing duties associated to the more general purchasing function when required.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Expertise and knowledge in current methodologies relating to the construction and publishing of contracts and agreements including all appropriate ancillary documentation is essential,
- Function specific degree or Professional qualifications, such as CIPS Level 4 or MCIPS, would be preferable.
- Proven ability to independently lead negotiations and support in the development of negotiation strategies for large and complex projects and contracts.
- Strong leadership qualities, gravitas, influencing and interpersonal skills. Will be able to constructively challenge and persuasively communicate with decision makers internally and externally at all levels as necessary.
- The role has periods of intense workload, and therefore flexibility and the ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously and manage time effectively will be necessary.
- Motorsport or high precision engineering industry experience would be a distinct advantage.
- The candidate must be responsible, calm, focussed and motivated, whilst demonstrating a proactive, organised, and flexible approach to changing priorities.
- They will be expected to work with a high attention to detail.
- They must be professional and capable of communicating at all levels, both internally and externally.
- Ability to independently prioritise a demanding workload, and overcome obstacles or problems should they arise, managing stakeholders’ expectations accordingly.
- Capability to lead and influence within a dynamic organisation.
- Able to act under pressure with calmness, clarity of thought and decisive authority.
- Strong communicator and influencer.
- A flexible approach to working hours and practices is necessary
All employees must ensure compliance with the Company Health and Safety Policy, and all relevant other statutory Health and Safety legislation.
This job description may not detail some less major duties allocated to the post holder, nor cover duties of a similar nature, commensurate with the role, which may from time to time be reasonably required by the relevant manager.