Team Leader Composite Laminating (Night Shift)
Woking, England, United KingdomF1 - Operations
At McLaren Racing, we believe only by chasing performance in everything we do can we give ourselves the best chance of success. Performance on track and in the factory. Performance for our people, our business and our partners. It’s about more than winning. It’s about hitting the highest standards, and then raising the bar again.
At McLaren Racing, we’re not just here to try to take the chequered flag. We’re here to excite our fans, inspire our people and deliver for our partners. And we’re also committed to evolving our sport, our industry, and our technology, too.
Purpose of the Role:
- Ensuring that all work is completed in a safe manner
- Running of their shift from an efficiency, throughput and man management perspective
- Leading with confidence in their position and promoting a profession approach to their work, team members and management of the workshop
- Flexibility to ensure that work demands are met and aligned at all times
- In direct charge of a group of skilled composite technologists
- Be available to attend relevant training courses which may fall outside of shift pattern
- Command of Javelin and all associated system, ability to check and amend Shop Floor Data Capture, book off components and complete operations on route cards
- Work with Project Management team to plan work and achieve requested delivery dates
- Collaborate to ensure capacity is managed and priority queues are always in good order and known
- Cultivate and encourage positive relationships between shifts and other interfacing departments.
- Risk assessment and COSHH management of processes and materials in use
- Update health and safety boards and complete incident forms as required
- Inform Internal Logistics and support functions to ensure parts availability is in place to maintain component production on shift
- Communicate with staff in other departments to ensure smooth flow of components and information
- Reporting directly any issues on shift to the Composite Laminating Manager
- Conducting team briefings, “Departmental Brief”, informing team members of all health and safety issues, work scheduling, team performance and facility updates.
- Attend Health and Safety meeting when required
- Attend shift manufacturing meeting when required, public minutes to attendees and other interested parties
- Contribute to the team effort of the department by assisting on the shop floor as and when workload or priorities dictate and support the drive for digitalisation and continuous improvement threads
- Leading the team in both a technical and behavioural capacity on your shift
- Maintaining appropriate levels of attendance within the team, through the management of holiday and other absence requests on your shift
- Fostering a focussed atmosphere within the shift recognising personal attributes within the team matrix to constantly strive to be a “performing team”
- Working with the Composite Laminating Manager to develop and implement an improvement strategy for the training and development of people and processes within the department.
Knowledge, Skills, and Experience:
- Intimate knowledge of composite manufacturing technologies and techniques
- Knowledge of quality assurance process and ply sign off on composite part
- Can read technical drawings/CAD and draw accurate data from them
- Technically aware of materials and how to use
- Computer literate and competent in the use of Microsoft applications
- Conversant with drawing systems and able to view drawings and laminate manuals to correct issue
- Knowledge of tool location system and able to locate moulds and advise Internal Logistics to retrieve in good time to complete tasks
- Confident people leader within a fast paced and dynamic environment
- Leads by example; set and manages expectations appropriately
- Moves towards problems thoughtfully
- Acts with integrity and loyalty to the team
- Highly self-motivated to set ambitious targets and high expectations for the team
- Confident, self-sufficient and resilient
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Remains calm and can make clear-headed decisions whilst under pressure
What McLaren can offer?
We constantly strive to be better tomorrow than we are today. Our ambition is to be the most pioneering and exhilarating racing team in the world, and our collective task is to set the standards for high performance in sport. We show up every day with energy and enthusiasm, ready to play our part.
We encourage and support diversity, equity and inclusion. We will actively promote a culture that values difference and eliminates discrimination in our workplace.
McLaren Racing is based at the iconic McLaren Technology Centre (MTC) near Woking. Our state of the art, sustainable campus offers many facilities including a gym, restaurant and indoor and outdoor break-out areas, as well as direct access to park and common land. The MTC is connected to Woking mainline station via regular shuttle buses, from which London Waterloo is a 30 minute train ride.
We offer a comprehensive package of benefits including private healthcare, car schemes, life insurance and generous pension contributions.