Technical Buyer - F1
United Kingdom, Surrey, WokingF1 - Production
Purpose of the Role:
The management of all the day-to-day purchasing activities in line with the programme and/or the performance upgrade plan.
Reporting directly to the Purchasing Manager this role is focused on two main areas.
- Working within the purchasing team to deliver the cost effective and timely procurement of components to support the programme.
- Delivering improvements to the complete procurement process working collaboratively with key stakeholders across the McLaren Racing business, to ensure that requirements and strategic objectives are being met.
All activities of purchasing in support of all programmes and projects with a focus on Engineered components, but not solely.
- Development of the supply chain, focusing on reducing lead-time, increasing agility and delivery performance.
- Upholding a professional, personable and proactive approach to the role, whilst maintaining positive communication with all key stakeholders as well as the wider business.
- Negotiation with suppliers, management of their performance and responsibility for supplier due date adherence
- Continuous improvement of processes and administrative functions required to complete role, to ensure a streamlined and efficient way of working.
- Development, loading and maintenance of purchase orders as necessary, ensuring on time delivery by the supplier is achieved to the required standard, while maintaining and developing constructive and collaborative supplier relationships.
- Flexibility within, and support across the purchasing team in a wide range of tasks, will be required along with a professional and positive attitude and approach to the dynamic and varying demands of the business.
- Responsible for a level of purchase order sign off.
- Mentoring, guidance and training of new and/or more junior team members as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
Ideally educated to degree level in an Engineering, Procurement or related discipline.
- Ideally experience in precision engineering and manufacture – Knowledge of CF composite/complex machined components/Transmission or Engine systems.
- Knowledge of purchasing best-practice and continuous improvements techniques.
- Proven ability to independently lead negotiations and support in the development of strategies for large and complex projects.
- Strong leadership qualities, gravitas, influencing and interpersonal skills. Will be able to constructively challenge and persuasively communicate at all levels internally and externally.
- The role has periods of intense workload, and therefore the ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously and manage time effectively will be necessary.
- Motorsport or high precision engineering industry experience would be a distinct advantage.
- The candidate must be responsible, calm, focussed and motivated, whilst demonstrating a proactive, organized, and flexible approach to changing priorities.
- They will be expected to work with a high attention to detail.
- They must be professional and capable of communicating at all levels, both internally and externally.
- Ability to independently prioritise a demanding workload, and overcome obstacles or problems should they arise, managing stakeholders’ expectations accordingly.
- Capability to lead and influence within a dynamic organisation.
- Able to act under pressure with calmness, clarity of thought and decisive authority.
- Strong communicator and influencer.
- A flexible approach to working hours and practices is necessary