Woking, England, United KingdomF1 - Technical
Purpose of the Role:
- To model tyre performance, correlating simulations to track and test data
- To analyse and understand the impact of tyre performance on overall vehicle performance
- To use tyre understanding to drive car development to optimise tyre performance
- To clearly and concisely communicate tyre understanding to Vehicle Performance, Race Engineering and the wider Engineering Department
- To continuously develop methods and processes to increase modelling efficiency and capability
- Innovate, proposing and developing new ideas & concepts.
- Identify actionable performance development opportunities.
- Develop industry-leading tyre simulation tools and analysis methods and support their use.
- Correlate tyre models & simulations against track and test data.
- Generate clear and well-documented code.
- Provide technical assistance to the broader team.
- Produce and communicate insightful, high-quality tyre analysis in challenging timeframes.
- Make a significant contribution to the level of tyre understanding within the team.
- Occasionally support trackside operations in real time from Mission Control.
- Occasionally travel to race or test events.
- Support the Head of Tyres in maintaining delivery across the Group.
- Interact effectively with other groups within Vehicle Performance, Race Engineering and the wider Engineering Department.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Master’s degree, PhD or equivalent in Engineering, Physics or Applied Mathematics (or similar).
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience of tyre performance, modelling & analysis, preferably in an F1 setting.
- Demonstrable knowledge and experience in tyre modelling, simulation and correlation.
- Experienced in using MATLAB for modelling and analysis.
- Strong data-driven analysis skills, with the ability to identify and extract key data.
- Experience correlating models against incomplete or challenging datasets.
- First class written and oral communication skills, delivering complex information in a style appropriate to the audience
- Broad understanding race car setup trade-offs between tyres, suspension and aerodynamics (preferred).
Experienced user of:
- MATLAB (required)
- Vehicle Dynamics simulation tools (required)
- ATLAS or similar analysis tools (required)
- Version control (preferred)
- Python (preferred)
- Able to integrate quickly into the team, working effectively with others.
- Strong organisational and problem-solving skills.
- Self-motivated and able to work with minimal direction to drive forward tyre performance.
- Uses initiative and is decisive.
- Excellent communication skills, able to tailor delivery style appropriate to the audience.
- Works calmly and effectively under pressure.
- High attention to detail with an unbiased, objective approach.
- Able to follow vehicle development directions and understand their impact on tyre performance.
- Flexible in approach, able to handle rapid & profound changes of scope, direction and process.
- Willingness to engage with, learn from and share knowledge with others.
- Innovative, moving us fearlessly forward by proposing new methods and ideas.
What can McLaren offer?
We strive to provide a fun, innovative, collaborative and open culture where everyone’s input is welcome, and everyone feels part of our achievements. We work hard to create a culture of continuous improvement and support this with a proactive approach to management and personal development.
McLaren Racing is based at the iconic McLaren Technology Centre on the edge of Woking. Our large campus includes a gym, swimming pool, restaurant and indoor and outdoor break-out areas, as well as direct access to park land. MTC is connected to Woking mainline station via regular shuttle buses, from which London Waterloo is a 32min train ride.
We encourage hybrid working patterns to give you options to balance your home life and hobbies with your work, and offer a comprehensive package of benefits including private healthcare, car schemes, life insurance and generous pension contributions.