Tyre Performance Engineer
Woking, England, United KingdomF1 - Technical
Purpose of the Role:
- To be the primary point of contact at the track for all matters relating to tyres including operations and performance.
- To prepare and present pre-event, in-event and post-event reports for Race Engineering, Vehicle Performance and the wider Team.
- To model tyre performance, correlating simulations to track and test data.
- To analyse and understand the impact of tyre performance on overall vehicle performance.
- To use tyre understanding to identify setup opportunities and to drive car development to optimise tyre performance.
- To clearly and concisely communicate tyre insights to Race Engineering, Vehicle Performance and the wider Technical Function.
- To continuously develop methods and processes to increase analysis efficiency and capability.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Master’s degree, PhD or equivalent in Engineering, Physics or Applied Mathematics (or similar).
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience of tyre performance, modelling or analysis, preferably in an F1 setting.
- Demonstrable knowledge, experience and interest in tyre performance.
- First class written and verbal communication skills, delivering complex information in a style appropriate to the audience.
- Experienced in using MATLAB for modelling and analysis.
- Strong data-driven analysis skills, with the ability to identify and extract key data.
- Experience correlating models against incomplete or challenging datasets.
- Broad understanding of race car setup trade-offs between tyres, suspension & aerodynamics (preferred).
- Experienced user of:
- MATLAB (required)
- ATLAS or similar analysis tools (required)
- Vehicle Dynamics simulation tools (preferred)
- Version control (preferred)
- Python (preferred)
- Able to integrate into the team, developing relationships & collaborating effectively with others.
- Strong organisational and problem-solving skills.
- Self-motivated and able to work with minimal direction to drive forward tyre performance.
- Uses initiative and is decisive.
- Excellent communication skills, able to tailor delivery style appropriate to the audience.
- Strong influencing skills.
- Works calmly and effectively under pressure.
- High attention to detail with an unbiased, objective approach.
- Able to follow vehicle development directions and understand their impact on tyre performance.
- Flexible in approach, able to handle rapid & profound changes of scope, direction and process.
- Willingness to engage with, learn from and share knowledge with others.
- Innovative, moving us fearlessly forward by proposing new methods and ideas.
What McLaren can offer?
We strive to provide a fun, innovative, collaborative and open culture where everyone’s input is welcome, and everyone feels part of our achievements. We work hard to create a culture of continuous improvement and support this with a proactive approach to management and personal development.
McLaren Racing is based at the iconic McLaren Technology Centre on the edge of Woking. Our large campus includes a gym, swimming pool, restaurant and indoor and outdoor break-out areas, as well as direct access to park land. MTC is connected to Woking mainline station via regular shuttle buses, from which London Waterloo is a 32min train ride.
We offer a comprehensive package of benefits including private healthcare, car schemes, life insurance and generous pension contributions.