Indianapolis, Indiana, United StatesIndyCar
Arrow McLaren is the McLaren Racing IndyCar team located on the West side of Indianapolis. By joining our team, you’ll be part of an exhilarating racing program that’s aiming to change the sport for the better by setting the standard for performance.
Innovative – Respectful – Inclusive – Energetic – Brave
Every day, we want members of this team to come to work with a simple goal in mind: To build better race cars and develop better ways to go racing. Focus on the process, enjoy the process of continual improvement, and let the results take care of themselves.
Purpose of the Role: The race engineer is responsible for maximizing car performance. The role of the race engineer includes managing and optimizing all aspects of running one car at all race and test events. These include but are not limited to setup development, driver communication, run planning, data analysis, car build spec and coordination of other engineers assigned to the car.
- Reports to the Director of Trackside Engineering
- Direct reports include Performance Engineer and Systems Engineer
- Run the car at race and test events. Communicate effectively with the driver, engineers and chief mechanic to provide instructions and recommendations
- Work with other trackside engineers from your car and the rest of the engineering team to maximise car performance
- Define run plans for tests and race sessions in coordination with the performance engineer and driver
- Run or advise on simulator sessions
- Evaluate and analyze technical data. This will include written reports for test and race events.
- Develop procedures and test plans for rig tests and supervise rig tests
- Promote teamwork and effective communication in order to develop good working relationships between all personnel and departments
- Manage car crew, including engineers and mechanics, to ensure all tasks are performed in relation to car setup, car build and running on track
- This role requires extensive travel as you will attend all race and test events
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical, electrical, computer engineering, physics, or equivalent
- Strong background in vehicle dynamics
- Good understanding of vehicle dynamics simulation tools
- Minimum of 5 years professional motorsport experience preferably in Indycar
- Solid computer knowledge, including Microsoft office products
- Able to work to a consistently high standard in stressful and time sensitive situations
- Comprehensive Medical, Dental, & Vision benefits
- 401(k) Retirement match
- Voluntary life, short-term and long-term disability benefits
- Annual bonus plan
- Competitive time off plan
- Team discounts, including kit apparel
Arrow McLaren is committed to equal employment opportunity. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, disability, ethnicity, gender (including gender identity and gender expression), marital status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other status or condition protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws.