PhD Intern - CFD R&D (4 Month Internship)
Woking, England, United KingdomF1 - Technical
The internship is open to PhD students in engineering or computer science from the second year onwards. We are looking for candidates who can be available for a four month period sometime between January and December 2024 – you will be asked to give your availability as part of the application process.
- Collaborate with other members of the CFD Methodology and HPC team to evaluate new concepts, and work towards their implementation in production if viable.
- Perform different short-term tasks to help the daily development of the CFD workflow or provide support to Aerodynamicists.
- This role is historically predominantly factory based at the McLaren Technology Centre in Woking, but with a weekly portion of remote working.
- CFD project leaders and other members of the CFD Methodology and HPC team.
- Champion one or two concepts considered by the CFD technology team in their workflow. Develop in-depth understanding (literature review, application cases) and techniques to address their limitations or improve them; help their implementation in F1 environment.
- A team player but with the initiative to make own decisions and work with minimal supervision.
- Self-starter, able to identify requirements independently, then make proposals for solutions.
- Able to work under pressure, sometimes with tight deadlines or changing priorities.
- Highly driven and ready to go beyond what is expected at every opportunity.
- Excellent communication skills to target a variety of audiences.
- The ability to influence and embed knowledge to other members of the team.
- The ability to follow CFD Methodology development directions independently.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and analytical approach, with attention to detail.
- Open mindedness to ensure high flexibility and the capacity to manage rapid and profound changes of scopes, development directions and processes.
- Aptitude to learn from others and share knowledge with others.
What McLaren can offer?
We constantly strive to be better tomorrow than we are today. Our ambition is to be the most pioneering and exhilarating racing team in the world, and our collective task is to set the standards for high performance in sport. We show up every day with energy and enthusiasm, ready to play our part.
We encourage and support diversity, equity and inclusion. We will actively promote a culture that values difference and eliminates discrimination in our workplace.
McLaren Racing is based at the iconic McLaren Technology Centre (MTC) near Woking. Our state of the art, sustainable campus offers many facilities including a gym, swimming pool, restaurant and indoor and outdoor break-out areas, as well as direct access to park and common land. The MTC is connected to Woking mainline station via regular shuttle buses, from which London Waterloo is a 30 minute train ride.
We offer a comprehensive package of benefits including private healthcare, car schemes, life insurance and generous pension contributions.